Dr. Manura Nanayakkara is a practicing doctor in Sri Lanka. He holds a postgraduate diploma in psychiatry.
What is Candid B Cream or Lotion?
Candid B is a medicine you apply to your skin to help treat inflamed fungal skin infections like ringworm and jock itch, both of which are caused by the same fungus.
It's made of a combination of active ingredients, which are:
- Clotrimazole — This is an azole antifungal that stops fungus from growing.
- Beclomethasone diproprionate — This is a strong corticosteroid that relieves symptoms of the infection, including swelling, redness, and itching.
The same active ingredients are found in Lotrisone (US) or Lotriderm (Canada).
Uses of Candid B Treatment (Clotrimazole and Betamethasone Dipropionate)
Candid B has a wide variety of uses. In its lotion form, it can be used to treat:
- Ringworm of the foot (tinea pedis; athlete's foot) — Symptoms include itching, stinging, and burning between the toes and on the soles of the feet, blisters that itch, and cracking and peeling skin on the feet.
- Ringworm of the groin (tinea cruris; jock itch) — Symptoms include itching and pain in the groin area; a rash on the groin, skin folds, inner thighs, or buttocks; a distinct edge to the rash that may be scaly or have bumps that look like blisters; and a red-brown color in the center of the rash.
- Ringworm of the body (tinea corporis) — Symptoms include dry, brittle hair or hair loss in patches (if it's on the scalp), severe itching, or a red-ringed patch of small blisters or scaly skin.
- Yeast infection (external vaginal use only; there is a pill form for vaginal insertion, or oral treatments as well) — Symptoms include burning, redness, and swelling of the vagina and the vulva, pain when passing urine, pain during sex, soreness, and a thick, white vaginal discharge that looks like cottage cheese and does not have a bad smell.
Candid B is not very effective in for widespread fungal infections on the body. For those, you'll need to take oral anti-fungal medication. It is also not very effective at treating infections of the nails.
For vaginal infections, the medication can be applied on the outside of the vagina to relieve itchiness. For the inside of the vagina, you'll need to treat it with vaginal anti-fungal preparations or oral anti-fungal medication.
Sometimes (especially in Asian countries), unmarried girls are not prescribed vaginal antifungal preparations that are inserted into the vagina because it can affect the hymen. Instead, they are prescribed oral anti-fungal medications such as Fluconazole.
How to Use Candid B Cream or Lotion
Be sure to read any information about the medication that your doctor has given you or that comes with the packaging. If you've been prescribed the medication, follow your doctor's instructions exactly.
WARNING: Do not use on people under 17 years of age, since there is a greater chance of the medication penetrating the skin and entering the bloodstream. Do not put the cream inside of your vagina.
- Only use this medication on the skin.
- Clean and thoroughly dry the area to be treated.
- Apply a thin layer of the medication to the affected area and gently rub in, usually twice daily (in the morning and evening) or as directed by your doctor.
- Wash your hands after using the cream unless you are using it to treat the hands.
- Do not wrap, cover, or bandage the area unless directed to do so by your doctor.
- Wear loose-fitting clothes after applying the medication to the groin area.
- Do not miss a dosage or an application. The key to eradicating the infection is consistent application over a set length of time. If you miss a dose, apply it as soon as possible. If it's already time for the next dose, continue application as normal.
Read More From Youmemindbody
The dosage and length of treatment depends on the type of infection being treated.
Ringworm or jock itch is usually treated for two weeks, and athlete's foot is usually treated for four weeks. Do not use more than 45 grams of the cream or 45 milliliters of the lotion per week unless directed and closely monitored by your doctor.
If the infection persists after these lengths of time, consult a doctor.
Precautions and Warnings
- Applying the cream over a large area of the body, using a higher dose of the cream than prescribed or recommended, or using the cream more often than prescribed or recommended can all increase the likelihood and severity of side effects.
- Do not apply the cream to the eyes, mouth, or to the inside of the vagina.
- This treatment should not be used for children younger than 17 years, or on geriatric patients who have very thin skin, since the medicine could enter the bloodstream and cause adverse reactions.
- Be sure to use the full recommended dosage of medication, even if the infection or your symptoms seem to have gone away.
- Be sure to inform your doctor if your condition worsens or does not improve after one week of treatment for jock itch or ringworm or two weeks of treatment for athlete's foot.
- If you are pregnant or planning on becoming pregnant, be sure to ask your doctor about using this medication because its effects on infants are unknown.
- Before using this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are allergic to clotrimazole or betamethasone or to other azole antifungals (e.g., ketoconazole) or corticosteroids (e.g., triamcinolone).
- Also, tell your doctor if you have any other allergies. This product contains inactive ingredients, which can cause allergic reactions or other problems. Talk to your pharmacist for more details.
- Always give your physician a full medical history so he or she can make sure you get the correct medication that you need.
Most people using this product do not experience extreme side effects. If your side effects are worse than the original problem, then you should tell a doctor and stop using the medication.
The most common side effects at the area of application include:
- Dry skin
If any of these side effects persist or worsen, notify your doctor or pharmacist promptly. Tell your doctor immediately if any of these unlikely but serious side effects occur:
- Extreme hair growth
- Skin thinning or discoloration
- Stretch marks
- "Hair bumps" (folliculitis)
Unusual and Extreme Side Effects
Rarely, this medication is absorbed from the skin into the bloodstream. This can lead to side effects of too much corticosteroid. These side effects are more likely to occur in children, and in people who use this medication for a long time or over large areas of the skin, which is why these behaviors are not recommended.
Tell your doctor right away if any of the following side effects occur:
- Unusual or extreme tiredness
- Weight loss
- Swelling of the ankles or feet
- Increased thirst or urination
- Vision problems
A very serious allergic reaction to this drug is rare. However, seek immediate medical attention if you notice any of the following symptoms of a serious allergic reaction:
- Itching or swelling (especially of the face, tongue, or throat)
- Severe dizziness
- Trouble breathing
This is not a complete list of possible side effects. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
When Should Candid B Not Be Used?
This medication should not be used when these other conditions are present or to treat these conditions:
- Open or infected wounds
- Black heads
- Carbuncles or Furuncles
- Bacterial abscesses
- Broken skin at the site of the rash
- Skin infections near the rash
Using this preparation for the above conditions will make them worse.
A Short Video on Ringworm
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and does not substitute for diagnosis, prognosis, treatment, prescription, and/or dietary advice from a licensed health professional. Drugs, supplements, and natural remedies may have dangerous side effects. If pregnant or nursing, consult with a qualified provider on an individual basis. Seek immediate help if you are experiencing a medical emergency.
Nani on July 12, 2018:
I have redness in my face i know that candid b wont used for redness.i want to know what happens if you used that cream just at the small area then we will identify the change before and after using the cream.is it useful madam .plzzzz reply
Rani on June 24, 2018:
Hi can i use candid b cream for pimples?
Fab on May 15, 2018:
Please where to get Candid B cream in France. Thank you
SUSAN on January 25, 2018:
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO WORK
Daya on October 11, 2017:
Sir I have a hair loss on my head in some places . The R.M.P doctor suggests that to use a candid B
Can it helpful? Can the hairs will be regrowth? Or not? If not then what can I do?
jennyC on October 09, 2017:
How to treat side effects from Candid -B? I have redness and dry skin around my mouth, nose, tongue and ears. My fungi problem under both my breasts are over after using Candid - B for one week but my side effects are now giving me discomfort. Please advise. Thanks .
ishrat on June 21, 2017:
Candid b cream is a steroid cream or not
Sadhu on June 01, 2017:
My face full mark due to chicken fox. Can i use this Candid b for removal of marks.
Ajaz Ahmad on May 25, 2017:
I have a swelling in the thigh area. Now thinking about this cream, whether to use or not. Please suggest how to overcome this problem.
Reba on May 18, 2017:
Hi im 8 weeks pregnant with a really bad yeast infection is candid b safe for me and my unborn baby
Mannecha Naraina on May 17, 2017:
Just done a co2 laser treatment for the first time so I would like to know if I can use candidB cream as my skin is dry and redness...Thanks
vishma on May 07, 2017:
can it apply on my groin
Saravan on May 03, 2017:
Hi sir, i am using Candid B cream in between inner thighs for a long time. Will it have any effect on my sperm quality or any chances for my partner not to get pregnant.
Amar on March 13, 2017:
Hello Sir, i used Candid total plus for jock itching and in back for 3 months and also took medicine from doctor. But when i stop applying cream after some time again itching comes and red skin. what to do?
saleem on November 22, 2016:
.I have allergy nearly from 2 weeks.iam suffering with some rashes at my between to tails middle point so I can use this candid b cream it very hot and it's like burning please tell me what is the solution
chandra mohan on November 16, 2016:
sir my feet skin, plam and hhand skin getting dry and crack dr. told me its fungal infaction but he did not sucessfully treated , sir should i try candid dusting power or cream?
Candid powder allergy on November 01, 2016:
Madam I have jock itch infection in my groin area. After taking Terbest for 7 days and using kz lotion for 7 days the symptoms didn't improve satisfactorily. So I thought to wash the affected portion with kz lotion and then dusted candid powder over it. How ever I found the groin area and my penis swelled. Sticky water is coming out from the swelled portion.it is so much that I wetted my paints. It is itching also and after itching it dwells up. What is this. Is it allergy to candid or reaction of kz and candid. Feeling very sad.
MMK on October 26, 2016:
I have itches and redness on elbow and around of my penis
Can I apply this??
Samadhan on October 19, 2016:
I am 26 year young boy. My problem is that skin on my penis is too hard and dr. Suggested me to use candid. How to use the cream.
M on October 13, 2016:
Hi i have a 5 year old, she has a rash that itches and spread she has it on her chest, belly and on her hip area, i just started to use candid b. Is it safe for her, i read a blog saying don't use candid b under 12. The green one
amy on July 25, 2016:
For about 3 months now I ve seen these round fair patches on my face (am dark in complexion )..they kinda peel off when I scratch them ..but before then I had had the same problem a year back and I was given a fungal oral medication..with a vaginal cream .....but recently
I contacted a pharmacist and he prescribed fluconazole tablet and a candid b cream for me ..my problem is there's no discharge whatsoever ..just that it itches sometimes but not too much ...
Can I apply it to the patches on my face and also on my vagina even if it doesn't itch too much ?
Dr Manura Nanayakkara (author) from Sri Lanka on July 20, 2016:
1. Generally it is advised not to put Candid B inside the vagina, because it is not effective inside. For that there are vaginal tablets. There won't be any new side effect if you apply it inside the vagina.
2. Generally you need to apply it at least for 10 days. In addition, you need to sterilise (boil) your undergarments as candid fungal spores can reside in them (to prevent reinfection). Need your sexual partner to use this cream to prevent reinfection.
3. I mentioned about entering into blood to a lady who is worried about pregnancy. The amount is very very small and wont cause any harm.
Luna W. on July 16, 2016:
I was infected with Candidiasis for months I think, only 2 weeks ago I decided to visit a doctor due to rashes around my vagina and butt area, it was itchy. I am 24, virgin. I have been dealing with a lot of discharge, including white, brown, clear, even black discharge for the past few years and have always had the itch feeling around my vagina, only this time it got worse.
After my visit with a Dr, took a sample in my vagina, and prescribed me with ONE Fluconazole, and Econzine cream with piritton. I took the OCP and at night I put on the cream around my vagina and it was very itchy and I took piriton, and no longer used the cream. I thought the infection was over as 2-3 days after that my vagina got a lot better and less discharge , less itchy and rashes completely gone. Then, a week later a lab report for my sample shows that there's a heavy growth of Candid in my vagina, and yes on the same day, my vagina gets itchy back but not as itchy as before I took the pill.
Then, i told my Dr that and she gave me ONE more fluconazole and replaced me with Candid-B cream. She said to put on the cream as far as I can put it on my vagina, so I thought it has to reach inside the vagina, and For two days in a row, i put the cream on the mouth of my vagina and I know when i sit/walk/layback it will get into the inner area of my vagina, and I kinda put a lot of it as I do not know how much should I put it on until I read ur post.
My question is,
1. Why we cannot put the cream INSIDE the vagina? What's the side effect?
2. How long should the Fungal to be gone when I use the candid-B? Roughly?
3. You wrote earlier something to do with enter the blood etc, if it enters the blood, then what's the side effect?
Thank you so much for reading,
Look forward for your reply.
Brijender Singh on July 06, 2016:
I am taking treatment from ENT specialist and he advised me to use Surfaz SN Cream into my ear. Is it safe to use this cream inside the ear. Can i use candid B cream instead of Surfaz SN for my ear(inside area). Tel me how to use this cream.
zeenathul jeena on March 22, 2016:
no problem with washing in hot water?
Nevaan on February 09, 2016:
I'm getting itching on my buttocks from 'round more than a week, now i applied candid b cream on it, 2-3 hours after applying i got reaction like redness and it got visible, which wasn't like before, please help me out.
Riya Dubey on November 14, 2015:
i have skin problems pemfigues ,i use this or not
Dr Manura Nanayakkara (author) from Sri Lanka on November 11, 2015:
Candid B works on scalp, but you need to shave the scalp before applying.
kk on November 10, 2015:
can candid B WORK for fungus on scalp???
mathi on September 26, 2015:
I have white patchiness in side face may. I use candid b cream for this pls help
akash on September 07, 2015:
i am married and when i have entercourse and discharge inside my wife, i get itching in mypenis tip after one day. same is the case of my wife and she also gets itching in her vagina. i had this prblem in 3 years back and at that time doctor suggested me for Eumosone cream and got relieved.
Again in 2 days back, we both have the same problem. so can i repeat the earlier medicines or go for Candid b? Please suggest the correct treatment.
C. Ranjan on August 25, 2015:
My growing part and inside both thigh itching continue. Can I use candid b cream. Kindly guide me
Bhavesh on August 13, 2015:
I am using candid b lotion for fungal infection and yeast infection. But side effects will occur like. Stretch marks,acne, hair bumps How to cure them HELP ME
Dr Manura Nanayakkara (author) from Sri Lanka on August 13, 2015:
You seems to have severe infection and chance of effect on baby is minimal 26 weeks. So it is safe to use it.
pooja on July 28, 2015:
Hi, my neck has fully become black...its becoming more n more darker . Will candid b helps in curing this???? Please suggest me
deepak on July 28, 2015:
I had itching in my genital organ.when i used candid-b,i got relief.but after 1day the icth spread down body with small inflammation
..is it safe to use candid b further in that areas?? Plz respond...
Tusar Kanti Mahap on July 07, 2015:
I have nail edge skin infection. Please help me.
Neha on June 28, 2015:
M 20yrs old n m in a sexual relation with my boyfriend from last 2 years but for the first time i felt a severe itching n redness in my vagunal part after having sex. My vagina has been swelled abit. Can i use candid b cream over it and is it save or will cause any effect on my pregnancy.
Dr Manura Nanayakkara (author) from Sri Lanka on June 18, 2015:
Long term use of candid b can cause skin thinning, but you can use it for several months (3 -4) before seeing that side effect. After treatment hair will grow back. Probably massage center introduced the fungus into your scalp.
v on June 18, 2015:
Hi, I went to sri lanka and got a shirodhara massage on my head. After that I started losing hair loke crazy, went to a doctor and he said its a fungal infection. He prescribed me candid b lotion to use on my scalp daily for a month. Will this have side effects such as skin thinning? Can I htake orally any medicine to cure the fungus? EWill my hair grow back after treatment? And finally, I think the massage center used USED oil on my scalp...could this have caused the infection? Please reply!!!!
shweta kori on June 17, 2015:
M having white patch on both the side of ma cheek its a type of fungus can using candid b is worth. ?
firstname.lastname@example.org on May 27, 2015:
My 6 months baby s having eczema for past 4 months..doctor prescribed candid-b for 14. Days 2 times per day....may I continue dis aftet dat and is if cause any side effect to my baby??suggest me plz...her skin becomes thin and turns white
ruby on May 26, 2015:
My vagina has turned dark in colour. can i use candid b. otherwise i have no problem , but yes i get infected with UTI most of the time when i use general public toilets. Can you help please
jai on May 18, 2015:
I have ringworm problem..i used many creams..but nothing works..i m feeding now..can i use this cream?
Rose on May 15, 2015:
I have been using creams with cloritamzole for a long period of time on my face. When I try to stop rashes appear on my face .what should I do?
Dr Manura Nanayakkara (author) from Sri Lanka on May 11, 2015:
Candid B would not help for hair loss
Jemina on May 08, 2015:
Hi, i am actually having severe hair loss on the front part of my head.
will Candid B Cream help?
arman on April 04, 2015:
For the last 3 months I hv fungal infection on ear...taken medication but not cured instead groin region is also affected...I have used Zole, myoclin but not effective... Plz suggest me some effective medication...
Dr Manura Nanayakkara (author) from Sri Lanka on March 29, 2015:
It is safe to apply. Apply two times per day for at least a week even your symptoms settles. Apply after cleaning the area with a mild soap (baby soap).
Andy on March 28, 2015:
Hi! I've been experiencing a lot of itching right near the outer lip of my vagina. Is it safe to use candid b cream around that area? Also how many times should i apply the cream?
Ramandeep on March 12, 2015:
I have dark spots in my face and blemishes in my nose during pregenency now I have two month baby can I use candid b cream on my face
mercy on March 01, 2015:
Doc i have tried to cure my vaginal discharge for along time since 2002, its white but very thick and cheese and cottage like what medication can i use to clear these.
mercy on March 01, 2015:
Doc i have tried to cure my vaginal discharge for along time since 2002, its white but very thick and cheese and cottage like what medication can i use to clear these.
mrs on February 27, 2015:
Outer side of vegina is itching so much that I got cuts there when I wash with water it burns me like anything.so can candid b is affected. Should I apply this cream?
Dr Manura Nanayakkara (author) from Sri Lanka on February 24, 2015:
Well, it is not indicated to use candid b lotion for dandruff. But since dandruff sometimes caused by fungal infection, therefore, it may be effective. But it is untested for that use. Therefore, side effects cannot be predicted.
abhishek on February 24, 2015:
Im using candid b lotion with hair oil for getting rid of dandruff. Just wanted to chk if em in d right direction n in cade any side effects
Monika, India on February 18, 2015:
I was recommended this cream by somebody as i have internal moles and patchy skin on my face, may be its tanning. Do you feel this will help ?
Dr Manura Nanayakkara (author) from Sri Lanka on January 28, 2015:
You may be having endometriosis, you need to see a gynaecologist. Candid b won't help you.
terry on January 28, 2015:
I keep having blister on my vagina before r after period. Why is this. But my discharge seem normal to mw can candid b ccream be used.
Dr Manura Nanayakkara (author) from Sri Lanka on January 13, 2015:
If it is not responded to clotrimazole then the chances are less that your problem settles with candid b. You need to show the lesion to a doctor to get proper diagnoses.
Dr Manura Nanayakkara (author) from Sri Lanka on January 06, 2015:
You should immediately stop using Candid Lotion. This would be an allergic reaction. You should get medical opinion as it could be life threatening
Kristen592 on December 31, 2014:
My doctor prescribed me candid b lotion for hair fall.
After applying it for 7 days on my scalp , there are blisters which are very painfull.
Please reply me asap.
I was already upset with thinning of hairs but now there is one more problem.
Please advise me some remedy.
Dr Manura Nanayakkara (author) from Sri Lanka on December 03, 2014:
It is not meant to apply for such a long time. This medication should be applied in clear fungal infections for short period (less than three months). You need to meet a dermatologist.
Caroline on November 30, 2014: