I recently graduated with a nursing degree, and I've spent several years working as an EMT.
I decided to swing by a local bar with a friend of mine for a drink (or two) before going to work one day. I drank a 24oz. Killians draft and it was sooooo good. Afterwards, I headed to work to catch a quick nap before my shift started. After I woke up my poor bowels kicked into high gear. How in the world do you get beer farts from drinking 24 ounces of beer? It was a really good thing I was the only one in the office at that moment, that's all I have to say!
After wondering why I was so full of gas (yes, gas and nothing else, thank you), I decided to head over to Google to try to find the answer. Not only did I find an answer, I also found some interesting facts that I was unaware of. Please, allow me to share what I found…
"Flatulence-producing foods are typically high in certain polysaccharides and include beans, lentils, milk, onions, radishes, sweet potatoes, cheese, cashews, Jerusalem artichokes, oats, yeast in breads, and other vegetables." - Wikipedia
Okay folks, now we need to take a look at the ingredients of beer: water, hops, malt (barley), and yeast. So it looks like barley and yeast are the culprits here. So there we have it, the rationale behind beer farts.
Here are some other facts I found to be interesting (and scary)...
- People fart on average 14 times a day
- People who hold farts during the day tend to fart in their sleep (sorry honey)
- You can cause yourself to become constipated if you hold gas in too long
- There's a company called 'Fartypants' that makes underwear designed to absorb the smell of farts
- Only 1/3 of the population produces methane, so not all farts contain it
- Farts burn with a blue or yellow flame (a blue flame is indicative of methane)
- Because so few people produce methane, a group called the 'Royale Order of the Blue Flame' has been established (I'm wondering if each member had to light a fart during the application process as proof that they are methane producers)
- Dogs LOVE the smell of farts much like we love the smell of cooking bacon. Sometimes a dog will stick his nose in the butt of the farter to take in as much of the odor as possible. Hmmm, lesson learned...don't fart around dogs!
- Termites fart more than any other living creature
- Scientists have found fossilized farts! Termites' digestive tracts still work even after they become trapped in tree sap and die so as they fart (yes, even in death), air bubbles form in the sap.
- You cannot get stoned from inhaling farts
- Men sometimes peter fart after having a urinary catheter
- Men usually fart a lot first thing in the morning (is this true? I asked a couple guys and they both said they fart all the time and there is no time of day when they fart more than others)
Okay, I think that's enough fart facts for the day. I'm getting bored with the subject. Did you learn anything? I did!
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and does not substitute for diagnosis, prognosis, treatment, prescription, and/or dietary advice from a licensed health professional. Drugs, supplements, and natural remedies may have dangerous side effects. If pregnant or nursing, consult with a qualified provider on an individual basis. Seek immediate help if you are experiencing a medical emergency.
Nati on April 27, 2017:
Lets drink to that !!! Cheeers
Cdub on November 26, 2016:
I farted about 30 times in our room this morning while my wife was sleeping and every one of them was horrible. My wife woke up and thought it was a septic tank problem in the house. It was so hard not to die laughing and tell her!
Chris on August 10, 2016:
Every so often something happens to my digestion that my farts smell like beer. I don't drink beer!!! Even my urine smells of beer. The smell lingers more than usual and impregnates my underware. Haven't been able of finding anything about this disagreable problem. Any ideas?
Read More From Youmemindbody
Dirk on July 19, 2014:
I have been farting so much today that my wife says the room smells like fart incense.
Huh on May 03, 2014:
Fartface on April 20, 2014:
Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it
Donna on April 19, 2014:
...and now I know
woman post on June 29, 2011:
my hubby says i fart like a dude, but that i look like a flower
ryan on December 21, 2010:
I just farted!
evefan on May 31, 2010:
Casino Affiliate on April 06, 2010:
Whom They Are !
ลงประกาศฟรี on December 27, 2009:
I like a beer.
Apotheke@ on December 19, 2009:
postman on October 20, 2009:
Very interesting hub.
srpatterson from Dublin, Ohio on July 14, 2009:
I agree, let those farts out. Why cause yourself pain?
tom on June 15, 2009:
hey , one tip though...
try onion, fresh onion and try simultanously to have a handy gas mask!
onion contain sulphur ... i tried one time and someone nearby tried to ask something...and it was soooo dizzy...i know i'm a charming person...;)
christine almaraz from colorado springs on January 10, 2009:
Great fart hub. Very informative:)
SpikeTheLobster from South Coast, UK on January 10, 2009:
I am a better person now that I know all this. Great fun!